Monday, April 28, 2008

Inspired Topics and Conversations

When was the last time you had an honest and open conversation about well.... sex with someone other than your partner? In college, I had a wonderful group I belonged to that each week we got together often with food to talk about various feminist issues, often including sex and well, our raging hormones. This group was my own mini version of Sex and the City, we did like Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte openly discuss vibrators, masturbation (yes, all girls do masturbate) and other adventures in the bedroom.

Everyone has been talking about THE movie, anticipation is running high, girlfriends and gay men will be filling the theatres on May 30. However, sometimes we forget about the honest conversations that were inspired as part of the show. We don't often bring up these frank topics with close friends. Sometimes they come up as a part of a conversation, however often we don't have these conversations on purpose. I think we should. It's healthy and normal to share personal topics with friends, research has shown it actually improves our relationships and brings us closer. Why keep issues to yourself when you might actually find that a friend has gone through the same thing?

A few weekends ago, a friend commented on some of my books on my book shelf. My bookshelf used to be in my bedroom so some of my more risque books were hidden such as the sex toys book from Babeland, collection of erotica, cunt (fantastic read, a true classic) feminist critiques and a few others. In all honestly, I haven't read most of them, I just bought them because I thought they sounded interesting. Now they are proudly displayed in my living room. When I unpacked I distinctly remember pulling out the babeland book from the box and contemplating not putting on the shelf, then I thought, why not, I am a liberated sexual woman, why can't I have this openly on my shelf, why does it matter. Two of my favorite feminist magazines- Bitch and Bust, always receive some glances on the plane. Once I discussed with an older gentleman the title of "Bust." I explained what it meant, how it was a positive title!

So ladies, have these conversation, make it a point. A friend suggested a monthly girls brunch- get together, talk about feminist issues, I love the idea! I miss my frank women's studies classes and discussions. We don't need Manola Blahniks, Hermes and Manhatten. Ok, maybe some cosmos might be in order. Just some honest to good, open and purposeful conversation.

3 comments:

scijess said...

OK, now I have to pull all of my books out of the drawer in my bedroom and put them on the shelf. Although in the drawer they are just that much more accessible from the bed...

And now that I think about it, I don't think I've had a decent sex conversation since UPS.

I'm going to actually try and call this weekend (probably Saturday afternoon). Its been WAY too long since we had a decent conversation.

Unknown said...

there is so many things i want to say, none of which is aproprate... let just say i have a smile on my face and many pictures floating through my head... :)

Unknown said...

well you do know its been 6 days ??? right ??