Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bliss

I had one of those weekends, one that I wouldn't change a thing. Friday night brought a bonfire at Golden Gardens. LED Bocci Balls, Smores, Sand, Nalgenes filled with mixed drinks & beer and yes layers of jackets as its not quite summer yet. The sunset was hidden by the clouds, but thats ok, we were too busy to notice. It was one of those nights, that you didn't realize that 5 hours had passed, it seemed like magically it went from dusk to darkness. Symbolically I burned a part of my past. As a part of the bonfire ritual, I burned my fat skirt. My skirt I wore at my heaviest, my depressed era, it was my comfort piece of clothing (other than the horrids which I threw away when I moved). The skirt represented a job that I was perpetually unhappy, a meager existence of work, sleep and eat. That time now no longer exists, it went up in flames with the skirt. Rather my life is filled with late night YouTube/OC sessions, winning kickball games, book clubs, volunteering in the community, happy hours, dinners with friends and most of all a positive outlook. I learned to become selfish. My time is my time. Yes, I still care very deeply about those who are important in my life, however, I am now my number one priority. Because of this, I have better, stronger friendships, I am happier, I am more productive at work and my health is 10x better.

As a friend recently wrote, yesterday was a good day. I went home to Tacoma. Driving into the city of destiny on 705, the huge Harmon Lofts sign stands out, the all too familiar huge rock candy glass sculptures by the museum of glass and the myriad of older homes on 30th. Like Neko Case, a part of me will always love Tacoma. Seattle is bigger and better in many ways, but there is an indescribable comfort, sense of self that lies in my former hometown. After having lunch with my mom and spending a bit of time with the family, I headed back to Seattle for a charity bowling event. Yes, the lanes were a bit dented and it's no Sunset Bowl, it was still good to get back to a familiar weekend activity. Afterwards we had dinner at the always tasty and way too crowded popular Aqua Verde. Karianne and I discussed kayaking this summer, something I've been wanting to do for a very long time. Afterwards we met up with others for drinks at my place with many many YouTube viewings including an subsequent obsession with "What What In the Butt." Shuffleboard at the The Viking my new favorite neighborhood bar. No, there's no Steve Martin Look Alike, crazy old ladies or bartender missing a hand, but the Viking is still one of those neighborhood gem bars where you can go have a drink and hang out with friends while playing a little Journey, Sister Christian or Sublime on the Jukebox. Post bar eating of confetti cake and more laughs ensued late into the night. Going to bed at 5am two nights in a row is going to pay a toll on me I'm sure. But as mastercard would say, this weekend, priceless.

No comments: