Thursday, April 24, 2008

Another Year

Yesterday was a good birthday. Sometimes you wonder what will the day bring, will you be disappointed? I almost forgot it was my birthday when I woke up, I started to do my normal battle with the alarm clock, then my phone vibrated with a text from Syd, oh yeah, that's right, it's my birthday! I received many many birthday wishes in all forms, phone calls, texts, myspace comments, facebook, e-mails and a few in person. Some friends from the past even said Happy Birthday, ones I was not expecting something from. My desk is still covered with elephant confetti from Sherrie. With that, my palm tree pen, bowling trophy and other random assortment of stuff, it's a bit cheery, I like it. It feels a bit more like home.

Honestly my highlight of the day with swinging on the swings and kickball. While waiting for the other team to finish up I decided to go swing on the swings. It's actually one of my favorite things to do. It's such a simple activity, one that I did many times as a child. Gliding up into the air, there's really nothing like it. So many times in college Jessica and I would walk to the park near the Butter House on a sunny afternoon to "swing." Yes, we did always giggle about swinging together. Karianne joined me after a bit, she understand my appreciation for the swings. I thought this is one of the many reasons she's my friend. Here I am playing kickball with great people. Two years ago on the worst birthday ever, I was at camp. So much has changed since two years ago. My life has finally moved forward. I'm playing a team sport and I even score a point, completing a full run around the bases. The exhilaration, the happiness I felt at that moment is a bit indescribable. Yes, last Saturday was the official birthday party, many of the important people in my life (at least in the Seattle area) came out to celebrate a new home and another year, but sometimes the simplest celebratory acts mean the most. This weekend I'll spend time with my mom, we are even going to lunch alone and she's baking my favorite lemon meringue pie. I'm kinda looking forward to it. My dad sang happy birthday to me on the phone.

I spend so much time worrying about other people and making it more about others. It was MY day- I joke at work calling it the MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF THE YEAR! This has been my year and I will continue to make each and every year my year. Putting myself first sometimes. Investing in me time. Today, I took a lunch, brought my book and lunch into the conferance room and read for an hour.

I know often I complain that there isn't that special someone in my life. Yesterday reminded me that I have many many special someones in my life, all over the country. Each of you means something to me. So many times I used to say to M how alone I felt, but I don't feel that anymore. I'm not alone, I have a huge network of wonderful, friends, co-workers (past and present) and family. And at the end of each day, I have a 17 pound chubby & tubby and little missy to come home to who no matter what greet me at the door. And yes, they do have a personality.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you have a 17# chubby at home ?? your a lucky lady... sorry i digres... you have described my exact feelings toward a lonley swing set in a park, i to am drawen to free flying fun-ness of a simple swing, it brings a smile to my face and takes me back to a simpler time, with no worries but that of playing and having fun. i think i will go vist the neiboor hood park at lunch and set my mind free on one of the rusty old swing sets... thanks for the smile

Unknown said...

how is your day going so far ?? you must be looking forward to your beach fire.. if i was going to such an event i would not be able to think about anything else.. :)