Sunday, July 6, 2008

We've Not In Seattle Anymore Toto

As the drops of water entrenched my hair, the sweet smell of campfire was washed away. My invigorating shower after three full days of departure from my normal city routine represented my return to Seattle. Part of me wished I was still back in Darrington, however it was a wonderful weekend that as I showered, washing the creases in between my toes reminded me why I love the Northwest.

I was ready Thursday, to escape the city, a break from my normal routine. Yes, I desperately wanted to go camping. Thursday morning started with the "it's almost here" e-mail from N. Then the discussion of "rain" started, certain individuals didn't want to go, some of us were still ready to hit the road Thursday afternoon. About 50 e-mails later and 4pm, I was still at work in Seattle. More frustrated than I've been in a long time, ready to throw my work computer out the door, I wanted to be out in the woods away from technology and city life. Finally Michael convinced me to come up to Bellingham for the night, enjoy a glass of wine, relax and we'd leave for camping in the morning regardless. Finally around 1pm on Friday we were on the road. Cell phones without signal, no computers- just time to enjoy nature. We started to approach Darrington, we had contemplated McDonalds, but decided we wanted something local. Finally we hit Darrington city center, realizing what a small town it truly was, yes, we weren't in Seattle anymore. Settling on the local burger place, small town America was apparent, we had passed decaying barns and run down houses with cars parked on the lawn and now the people certainly were making an impression. Part of me was thinking where the hell am I, get me out now, but then part of me said, no, we are experiencing another part of life, yes different, but this is going to be an adventure.
Then we headed to the IGA (otherwise known as the IG-A later that weekend- note the gangster rape tone) to get food. While figuring out which sausage had the lowest fat content, we overheard someone say, "No Honey, We Always Have Mouse For Your Birthday," yes this was NOT Seattle. I soon became aware that I was too a piece of meat in the IGA, I had all my teeth, I'm relatively thin (believe me in comparison) and I had boobs that were not down to my stomach. Finally we were at the campsite with beer, smore makings and ready to get our camp on! Met up with others, meeting new people upon arrival, we all arrived at the same time. Shared a few beers after setting up camp. Decided it was time to hit the IGA again and have a beer at Skidders (yes, the bar was really named that). Others experienced the IGA in action, with more interesting sights to be seen. Then at Skidders there was the dog sitting at the bar, yes literally at the bar with his own water glass, children dining with their parents and the now infamous t-shirt. The bonding had begun. We continued drinking into the night, sharing stories over the campfire, although many of the pleasantries still existed. Started a game of Famous Canadians (name a famous Canadian). I crashed, a bit drunk and stoned. Next morning we woke up, I had actually slept well (I think I had some help), made breakfast, drank coffee, played some card games, then headed off for a hike to Frog Lake.

I was ready for the hike, yes, outside exercise. Had my new Chaco's on, ready to roll. Hike started off relatively easy, I thought, cool a steady relaxing hike. Then we realized the good part of the lake was below, there was a path, but no leading to where we could fish. The "boys" found a path via rock, I started to think, this might not turn out well, I'm not doing this. Luckily it was decided to find an alternate route. Well the alternate route meant walking down a somewhat steep grade off trail. Again, I was thinking, I don't think so harriet. Olivia was trying to find a different path, so I joined her, after battling the berry bushes and mossy squishy ground we realized no such luck. We had to try the other path. She went, then I decided to ride it down on my butt, it was the best way and I have plenty of cushion. Beer was down there in Michael's pack and I wanted my reward! Carefully teetering rock to rock I got to the shore. I had gone outside my comfort zone on my own. M and I had discussed the very same thing the night before, trying to move beyond our boundaries, taking risks on our own. Mission accomplished. I sat on the rocks, enjoyed my PBR and watched the men fish. Next was the "log raft," M and Brian were on it, asked who else wanted on. I thought what the hell, so what if I fall in. I got on, uh oh, its pretty wobbly. No, I can do this, I am trying something new- did kickball, its all about expanding my horizons and pushing myself. Brian was nice enough to hold my hand as I wobbled, trying to desperately find my balance, nope I'm not coordinated, but I really wanted to do this. Finally I got to an ok point, camera click and I was off the log. The boys then paddled the log across the lake. It was a big moment for several of us! Yes, we had a story and had another bonding experience. I climbed/crawled back up the ledge. I had done it. The adrenaline rushed through my system. This is what I needed and wanted. Hiked back to camp in the misty rain. Had a few beers and headed to our all to familiar and favorite IGA.

Our campfire consisted of drinking from our bladder (aka the box wine), naming famous Latin Americans, singing cheasy songs, nicknames emerged- O-Ring and L-Train were de-railed. Lots of laughter and overall good time. This is what camping is all about. Not caring if you have a hole in your pants on your butt, talking about "dropping the kids off" at the IGA and remembering that nature does exist. The weekend before was blissful at Lake Sammish, but this was different. The creek right next to our campsite, the scratches all over my leg from the berry bushes plowing our way through the woods and even the bug bites- this is is nature. I become wrapped up in my city life- happy hours, working out at the gym, e-mails, facebook, but honestly sometimes it becomes too much. It was nice to connect with others in a different setting. The pleasantries had faded. We were being real, sharing about ourselves, experiences, families and most of all enjoying the moment.

This morning we packed up, cleaned up camp all in anticipation of our final hurrah the the infamous Turkey House (and oh yeah, a real bathroom!). At the Turkey House, we read the paper, talked about life, had our final meal together amongst the old folk with of course delicious homemade pie. It wasn't Tom Douglas, but really an awesome meal, one that you appreciate after cooking over the fire for the past few days. Finally we parted ways. Driving back home into the city, I listened to my Garden State soundtrack, enjoying the time alone. Passed by the premium outlets. There's a part of me that loves all of those things, but a part of me was nourished this weekend that I often forget exists. The part that doesn't mind getting dirty, sleeping on the ground or running through the river. And that part wants to break more boundaries and find more adventures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the city can stifel the "nature" part of our souls !!!! i live right on the clackamas river, so when ever i feel the "mother nature" in me achaing i take a nice long hike along the river, and enjoy the sounds of the water, the birds, and just relaxing with mother nature, work, the city, the bus, the wife and kids, everything just fades to black, i find the person i was before life took hold of everything... ya i love going back to nature.... it sounds like the place you camped was WONDERFULL ! it a shame we all cant make a little more time to nurture the nature in our souls.