Thursday, July 10, 2008

Coffee Drinks and Straws

These past weekend in Darrington when I ordered my latte, they automatically gave it to me with a straw. I have never been given a star automatically with my HOT coffee drink in Seattle. As M always says, there are two rules about small coffee stands in small towns- do not order a mocha or syrup (note they always have every flavor under the sun). I am adding a third rule, they always try to give you a straw for you hot drink. It has to be a suburbs thing. As I drink my Frappacino, and I hear that straw sound that is so annoyingly in every episode of Weeds a bazillion times, I swear suburban woman drink their coffee with straws. Mary Louise Parker obviously has a ice coffee addiction, but its almost as if they make a point of her and the straw. My suburban co-workers drink their hot coffee with straws and back when I worked with Puyallup school district, the career counselors, always used straws. Why? No one in Seattle does this, so what is it that makes the suburban population do this? Since when do you drink something HOT with a star? Seriously. Ok back to work.

1 comment:

scijess said...

Maybe they don't want to stain their teeth? Although, I could never drink hot coffee with a straw. I draw the line at lids with drinking holes in them :) At least that way I don't spill when I'm driving...