Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Date With Myself

Today was one of those days, it had its lows and its highs. Something about it started off different, almost a reset ignited by me losing my power in the middle of the night, waking up to the flashing light on the stove when I fed the cats. Work was busy, yet my mind was scattered, having a hard time accomplishing the multiple tasks being demanded of me. Rather I found myself several times looking aimlessly at my computer. The day perked up with an incredible lunch from Skillet, M getting his scholarship that I helped him with and a unexpected text. However, there were some lows, M's childhood dog dying and the gloomy day that seemed to take a toll on everyone. I left work exhausted not really feeling all that great. After doing some essential errands, I found myself wandering the aisle of Safeway wondering what I wanted for dinner. I didn't want to exert the effort to get takeout and somehow nothing yelled "pick me pick me" rather the myriad of choices complicated my simple decision. Slowly my basket started to fill with some comfort foods- Cherry Coke zero, mint Brussels and then it dawned on me, quesadillas, I have whole wheat flour tortillas and beans, all I need is some cheese. At the check out I grabbed my token I need something a bit fluffy Glamour magazine. Still departing Safeway, I felt like something wasn't right. Was it an impending panic attack?

I got home, changed the cat litter and then started to take care of some sub sequential chores- take out the garbage, the huge pile of recycling, wash dishes and tidy up a bit. Dish by dish, I started to feel a bit better, less melancholy and lethargic. Then I pulled out my panini press, yes, thats perfect for the quesadillas. Easy dinner, not a lot of clean up and a total childhood comfort food. Yes, this is what I needed. A date with myself and my apartment. I'm feeling more energized, a bit less sad, although the fall of the high of the past few weeks has certainly not passed. But a reminder to take time for myself. I think I'll bring out Pradabelle who is probably covered with dust by now, she's been regretfully ignored the past month. Sometimes the best dates are when you least expect it, tonight was one of them.

No comments: