Sunday, October 12, 2008

Building Community Roots

On Saturday my roots to my past and present community connected. I had the opportunity to go to Roy, WA to pick apples. I was initially excited about the prospect of picking apples, but of course when it was early Saturday I was not quite so enthusiastic. As we approached Tacoma I started to feel the same feeling every time I approach the city of destiny, a bit of longing but mostly love. Yes, I do love Tacoma. But this time I continued on I-5 towards 512 onto Puyallup. The last time I was in Roy was to re-charter an Explorer post, I didn't want to be there. As I drove past the fire station, I remembered my meeting, not exactly the most positive time in my life, rather survival. This past weekend my feelings toward Roy changed.

We were picking apples for the homeless. For The Emergency Food Network on an orchard maintained by the Korean Woman's Associated and formerly associated with Associated Ministries and Mother Earth Farms. These names all meant something to me. My heart grew bigger immediately as we heard the ED talk about their mission and focus. My roots in two very separate communities had just made a connection. The above mentioned names were closely connected with my former college and church I had worked. Although I was never directly involved with them, I knew about them, a former mentor/friend served on the board for several of the names- later talking with David, the Ed, he knew Jim and Nancy. We had commonalities.

This was the first harvest for the apples. They are organic. I had the special apple collector on and began one by one removing the apples from the tree. Saturday was the epitome of a fall day- cool, crisp and sunny. Apple picking was something we did almost every fall as a child. We'd pick apples, make apple cider and pies. Most importantly I was connecting to the earth on another level. It's different from hiking or going to the park. I felt fulfilled. Happy. I actually spent most of the time alone during the project. Talked briefly to a few. Mostly content spending time with mother earth, I was experiencing my form of spirituality, my version of church.

Our project was covered by the Tacoma News Tribune. The article about our Saturday of apple picking includes a quote by me. Unfortunately there are no pictures on the website.

After the project I took the team to the Harmon then had the opportunity to show a few people in my car some places in Tacoma. They joked that I needed to work for the Tacoma tourism council. I really do love Tacoma. Just like Neko in Thrice All American, my heart will always have a special place for the dusty old jewel in the south Puget Sound. Tacoma is my community, always will be an integral part of shaping the person I have become.

Thank you for bringing two very important communities to me together. My roots connected in a way I never expected them to, a wonderful surprise. I cannot wait to make a pie tomorrow with the handpicked apples.

No comments: